The Bong Naturalist Association is a group of volunteers promoting conservation, education and recreation at Richard Bong State Recreation Area.
You are invited to head to the park to explore the newly installed summer STORYWALK® “I Love Bugs” by Philomen Sturges is the featured book. As you read, you’ll learn about bugs and their adaptations. Additional activities like scavenger hunts, art projects, snack ideas, and action play are also included to help you explore nature and learn more about birds. Bring your phone or camera to take photos of the extra activities that are posted as copies cannot be provided.
The book is aimed primarily at a 4-8 year old audience but the whole family can enjoy the hike. The .7-mile trail begins right behind the Visitor Center at Richard Bong State Recreation Area and passes by the new Nature Explorer Classroom. This trail has some grade to it and dogs are not allowed on this trail.
There is no cost to hike but you will need to have or purchase a state park vehicle admission sticker. The park is open 6am-11pm. For questions call (262) 878-5601.
2021 annual vehicle admission stickers are required for park entrance. Admission stickers, gift recreation packages and a donation that goes to Wisconsin State Parks can be purchased online at the Friend of Wisconsin State Parks website. FWSP Online Store (google.com)
Stickers may also be purchased online at Vehicle Admission Stickers/Wisconsin DNR. You may also purchase them from the Richard Bong entrance station on the weekends or the self-registration station at any time.
All Wisconsin state park system properties are operating their usual property hours which generally is 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week.
As of June 1, 2021
- Volunteer group sizes can have 350 people outdoors with small working groups.
- DNR-led and co-sponsored events such as naturalist activities, education programs, Friends hikes and candlelight events are permitted as long as events are outdoors.
- Special event group sizes can have up to 350 people, and may be phased to include more participants.
- Commercial-use application group sizes can have up to 350 people.
- Outdoor group campsites can have maximum capacity or 350 people, whichever is less.
As of June 25, 2021
- Office buildings, entrance stations, visitor centers and nature centers are open.
- Open air shelters and amphitheaters can have maximum capacity or 350 people, whichever is less.
- Playgrounds and observation towers are open.
Flush toilets are now open in parks, and vault toilets are open, however, they may not all be cleaned daily.
Adaptive rental equipment at state park properties is unavailable until further notice.
The campgrounds at Richard Bong are Sunrise and Sunset. Sunrise is operated the last Friday in March to the last week in November. Sunset Campground operates the Thursday before Memorial Day through Labor Day. Campgrounds are available by reservation only, day of arrival up to 11 months in advance go to: wisconsin.goingtocamp.com Or call 888-947-2757.
Please be respectful and safe so the park can remain open.
- Carry out all garbage, pet waste and recycling
- Don’t trespass, make sure the area you are accessing is open to the public
- Bring your own sanitizer and water
- Don’t pick native plants or remove any animals from the park
- If you see violations, please report them